Oct 16, 2010

Picking NFL Week 6

How I did last week: 6-8

I don't want to be one of those “over-sharers” but I have to relate a painful moment from my Sunday last week. As the morning round of games drew to a close, my record from the already completed games was 5-2. Two games, the Packers-Redskins game and the Bengals-Bucs match-up, went late. I figured that I had a shot at 7-2, but more realistically I should expect to be 6-3, still a solid platform for the rest of my week. Worst case-scenario, I'd be 5-4, still a winning record.

Of course the worst of the possibilities happened.Then I lost all three afternoon games. Then the Sunday night game went the wrong way too. Only a Jets win on Monday night saved me from a complete, back-breaking, spirit-destroying collapse.

Just a brief glimpse for you into the torrid Sundays NFL prognosticators have to endure. If they care about being right that is, which, somewhat unfortunately, I do.

Record on season: 41-35

First losing weekend of the season is going to prompt a new strategy for the picks. No over-thinking it, I'm just going to go with my first instinct and thought on these.

Falcons at Eagles: Kevin Kolb showed us he could run the Eagles offense last week against the Niners, but Falcons receiver Roddy White is a big play waiting to happen against Philly's secondary. Falcons.

Browns at Steelers: Ben Roethlisberger or no Ben Roethlisberger, the Steelers were going to win this game. Steelers.

Seahawks at Bears: Can't believe the Bears have won four games with that sieve of an offensive line, but somehow they've found a way to overcome their biggest weakness. Credit to 'em. Bears.

Dolphins at Packers: The Packers have been decimated by injuries in the last few weeks and continue to struggle with penalties. Miami is fresher, coming off a bye, and they're the type of team that wears you down anyway. I like the upset here. Dolphins.

Lions at Giants: The Giants have bounced back in a big way the last two weeks. Their defense appeared to have turned it around and receiver Hakeem Nicks is becoming a real stud. I like Detroit's future but Shaun Hill has been forced to throw the ball a lot lately. New York will pick him a couple times on Sunday. Giants.

Saints at Buccaneers: The fact that I'm even considering Tampa Bay in this one should be considered a major victory for Bucs fans, given where the two teams were last year. I consider them but I won't go so far as to pick them however. Saints.

Chargers at Rams: I keep picking the Chargers in games I think they should win and they keep losing. But Philip Rivers is playing so well right now that I can't imagine his individual brilliance not turning into victories soon. Chargers

Chiefs at Texans: The Chiefs defense is turning into a very solid unit: they almost held the Colts (the Colts!!) without an touchdown for an entire game. That would have been unheard of. But unfortunately their offense is struggling to keep pace with the defense's development. Texans

Ravens at Patriots: If I had to pick the one team I've been most impressed by this season, it would be the Ravens. They play both offense and defense really well, and their receiving corps, once their biggest weakness, has become one of their biggest strengths. Ravens.

Raiders at Niners: If Niner fans are smart, they'll boo Alex Smith before the team has even played a possession on Sunday. Smith struggled for three quarters against the Eagles last week. Then the fans started booing (and chanting for David Carr, which is embarrassing in itself) and Smith led two TD drives. Niners.

Jets at Broncos: I guess Rex Ryan was right about how good his Jets are. Jets.

Cowboys at Vikings: Who would have predicted the two teams that faced off in last year's NFC championship starting the season a combined 2-6? I see the Cowboys being the lesser of two evils in this match-up, particularly with Favre not being 100 percent. Cowboys.

Colts at Redskins: The Redskins are giving up a league worst 410 yards per game on defense, but they're middle of the pack in terms of points actually given up. Their philosophy of bending but not breaking will be severely tested by Indianapolis. Unless Washington back Ryan Torain can eat up 40 minutes of clock and rush for 120 yards on a lot of 5 yard carries, it's going to be a long day for the Washington secondary. Colts.

Titans at Jaguars: Jacksonville won't be able to contain Chris Johnson for four quarters . Titans.


No comments:

Post a Comment